Sunday, November 4, 2007

Me and Carl Rogers.


As artists, we have such an amazing opportunity to touch the lives of others; we may not administer advice, conventional healing or physical protection, but I think, at our best, we can share something of who we are, impart wisdom, reach beyond ourselves and make connections to other human beings. I have always thought that our lives are to be lived as an expression of our most authentic selves and what we believe. I also believe that we are all here to serve others, whether that is in the "obvious way" (as a nurse, priest, policeman, counselor, teacher) or a more abstract way. Clearly, I chose the route of abstraction.

When I was in high school, I was certain I would study psychology and pursue my PhD to become a clinical psychologist. Obviously, that did not happen (at least the PhD part...for now), but, in that period of my life, I read a LOT of books. A mentor of mine turned my attention to Carl Rogers. "Rogers' person-centered theory emphasized the concept of "self-actualization." This concept implies that there is an internal, biological force to develop one's capacities and talents to the fullest. The individual's central motivation is to learn and to grow. Growth occurs when individuals confront problems, struggle to master then, and through that struggle develop new aspects of their skills, capacities, views about life. Life, therefore, is an endless process of creatively moving forward, even if only in small ways." (from www.mythosandlogos.com). Rogers also believed that, through remaining somewhat transparent in his own feelings with his clients, the client would feel more immediately understood and accepted, and would, therefore, heal more quickly.

As an artist/designer, I have the opportunity to put a visual language to my own experiences. Through sharing this with others, ie, allowing for some transparency in my own life, I am *possibly* able to put form to another person's experience. Only when I am my most authentic, most honest and most real does this work. Never, is the work effective or relevant when it is forced or contrived. It is amazing to me when I think of the tremendous potential art and design has to influence an individual and change the world, ultimately.

I think the following except sums it up rather succintly.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. The purpose of human life is to serve and to show compassion and the will to help others. Creativity is the ability to introduce order into the randomness of nature. Life is an exciting business and most exciting when it is lived for others. You cannot do much about the length of your life, but you can do a lot about its depth and width." From Laws of Simplicity blog.

No comments: